Monday, January 30, 2012

I want to travel along the White Mountains in New England Going from north to south. Where should I begin?

My husband and I are interested in getting in the car and driving along the Applacion Trail this spring. We want to see the White Mountains of New Hampshire. We are currently in Maine. Where should we begin. Which town should I do a search for on mapquest as a starting point? How long should I wait? When will the weather be warm for traveling?I want to travel along the White Mountains in New England Going from north to south. Where should I begin?
Hello, I hope I can help with getting you started. I am also a New Englander and familiar with the White and Green Mountains.

Seeing you are in Maine, take I-91 south and watch for Mt. Washington in New Hampshire. That would be an excellent starting place and from there you can travel along the Majestic Range. It is very scenic only in Spring and Fall. I'm sorry, I don't remember the route that Mt. Washington is on, but there are numerous signs that give directions. You can see the mountain from many miles away on a clear day. It is only about an hour or so to the western part of the state where you can pick up the Green Mountain Range that goes into Vermont. Bring your camera and /or camcorder. At Mt. Washington is a train that goes to the summit. There is a weather observatory and a gift shop at the summit. If your car is in good enough condition, you can drive along the trail going to the summit as well. Near the base of the mountain is a beautiful motel. I can go on and on. Enjoy your trip.I want to travel along the White Mountains in New England Going from north to south. Where should I begin?
It will be a short trip. You really cannot follow the trail by car. Get a map instead of internet info. More reliable and you can pick your own route. Weather is about the same as in Maine right now.I want to travel along the White Mountains in New England Going from north to south. Where should I begin?
You do know that the AT is a footpath through the woods and as such cars are not allowed to use it. The notable exception to that is in Virgina where the trail parallels Skyline Drive.

To begin you will need to find US 2 The Maine stretch of Rt 2 basically goes from Bangor to Bethel

Should you want to find the AT in NH your best place to start will be in at the jct of US 2 and Rt16 in Gorham NH and head south

If you drive south on rt16 AT will be above you on both sides of the road until you reach Pinkham Notch

where it will cross 16 and then be on the right side of you .

The AT will then cross rt 302 on the southern end of the Presidential Range head into the woods going over to Franconia Notch and then wind it's way over to the beautiful town of Hanover NH

If you want the exact route of the AT

get in touch with the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and buy the trail data book it will give you every road crossing on the AT

or your local backpacking store may have a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment